Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 1- Part 2

My dear wife Pollie likes to ask me about my highs and lows when I think back on the day. Amongst my highs for day one of this ride was our request to have a local Fall City man take our group's photo standing in front of a local watering hole, which because of the days' festivities, had a gigantic two-story inflatable gorilla standing atop it. We wanted the gorilla in the picture too which led this man to a contorted photographer's posture and his asking what our group was about and why we were cycling. With our explanation came this man's five dollar bill being withdrawn from his pocket; our first donation while on the ride. And so, of course we had to get his photo while giving the first donation. Much fun.

Another high for the day was most definitely the climb to Snoqualmie Pass. I know, most of you would be convinced that I am crazy by that last statement (as if you weren't convinced already) but truly, if you haven't ever taken a ride up Denny Creek Road---not the typical boring ride up I-90-- to the Pass, you owe it to yourself to try it. The road winds through switchback after winding switchback and it is really something to experience not just see. Time almost indeed stops here where you can hear only the eggbeater whirring of bicycle chains and wheels, birds and your own heart beating and lungs breathing. It doesn't get much simpler than this. I took several opportunities to take photos of Pollie and Pete as they wound their way up to the summit where we rested in a tiny cafe. I ordered a bear claw (a pastry the size of my head) and a chai tea latte and warmed up from the inside out. it was cold at the summit. Pollie and I bid adieu to Pete as he was riding back down to meet his wife and return to Seattle while Pollie and I continued on to Cle Elum, WA.

Now for , the Lows- Body pain lingering from my being ran into by a car while bicycling home last week-- neck, left shoulder, numb hands, saddle sores and by the end of the day, buckets of rain. Yes, my dear Pollie is an incredible woman. But I warned her about tempting the "rain gods" when she happened to say aloud at about mile 72 of our 89 mile ride that we were "so lucky that we hadn't been rained on much." Of course, it proceeded to rain buckets on us all of the rest of the ride. And, just three seemingly short miles from a hot shower, meal and bed, she also got the first flat tire of the ride. We changed it slowly and methodically in the rain and had no option but to laugh as we could by now wring out every possible thing that we were wearing.

And God was still so good to us. I praise Him for the blessing bestowed on us that is this service...service for the people at AJS and ASJ and those whom they serve in Honduras, even if we may never meet, we can feel confident that His will shall be done with our efforts. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment